Tuesday, June 15, 2004

T DOESN’T PASS

I should have made it clear that yesterday’s posting, while clearly labeled as a “guest blog,” did not say who the guest was. It was Eric LeMay. Eric LeMay, who seems to think I’ve been a little thin on material lately.

Oh, how wrong he is. And to prove it, I’ve a posting right here that uses material provided me by Boston Herald editorial assistant Andrew Manuse. He has some good things to say about a Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority plan to randomly stop and search mass transit passengers. Well, he doesn’t have good things to say about it. Rather, he says well what we’re all thinking: Hey, MBTA, fuck off.

This is the letter he sent me:

Hello Boston,

I’m not sure if you’ve heard yet, but the MBTA plans to conduct random bag searches of passengers riding the T starting in July. During the Democratic National Convention, the authority plans to search every person's bag. See the Boston Herald’s piece about this.

I have already written a letter of complaint to the MBTA, which you can also do here. I told the MBTA that I would refuse to allow the search of any of my personal property without a written warrant with my name on it that spells out the probable cause used for the search. I also told the MBTA that I would attempt to recruit as many people as possible to do the same.

This is an egregious affront on civil liberties that can not stand. The Fourth Amendment clearly states: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects, against
unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” I don't think we should allow this inalienable right to be trampled for any reason.

If you agree, it would help if you sent this to everyone you know that will be in Boston during July. If you don't, then, well, have a good day.

Take care,
Andrew

No comments: