Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Comic strip synchronicity 1

Every once in a while a single page of comic strips will reveal a strange similarity from one artist's creation to the next — a totally out of the blue (or, in the case of newspapers, cyan) occurrence that of course does not legitimately include obvious common themes such as Halloween or the last day of school before summer vacation. I would also be reluctant to include coincidentally overlapping demonstrations of, ugh, the old generation of artists' fixation on golf. (Nothing is as funny as golf!)

I'll post examples when I run across them, although I've got only one saved up after today's inaugural post.

This one is a particularly startling example of the phenomenon, though, because what's shown here, from the May 3 edition of the Boston Sunday Globe, is unretouched! These comics strips ran just as you see them here, one atop the other.

1 comment:

RS said...

These things are great.
I wonder if the warmer weather has coaxed out some snails, and the artists saw the snails, were charmed by them, and both decided they just had to do strips this week involving snails.

Then again, considering the nature of snails, this seems unlikely. I mean, think about it, how often do you, or really any of us, see snails?

I've seen lots of slugs, but the land snail strikes me as a rare beast.