Monday, October 06, 2003

BLOG HOUSEKEEPING

Yet another Boston Herald blogger -- with Cosmo Macero Jr., that’s three just among the business-section staff -- is Jay Fitzgerald, whose Hub Blog takes me to task for the large type you’re reading now. I know. It’s painful. But I’m using a free template and am unsure how much control I have over such things. Having gotten a complaint, though, I vow to look at my template controls and see if I can rein in the madness. (UPDATE: Consider the problem as fixed as it’s going to get. The type is, believe it or not, smaller.)

One of my inspirations for blogging is Mike Moore, whose novel “Too Much of Nothing” was reviewed brilliantly yesterday by someone named J.L. Johnson. I may have to write soon about the curious phenomenon of elaborate bylines adopted by people with much simpler names. For now I’ll just appreciate a review that’s as well-written as the book it discusses.

The California recall vote is tomorrow. I recklessly said Gray Davis would stay governor, and I still hope that’s so ... but it once again appears iffy. My other reckless bet, on the eventual failure of the youth-oriented free daily soon to premiere in New York, should pan out. It suddenly finds itself in a race, as the Metro plans to take Manhattan.

Finally, Misleader.org, the Bush watchdog site, seems to be endorsing the U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy view of the Iraq war timeline, albeit indirectly, since the senator isn’t mentioned. The site charges that the decision to go after Saddam Hussein came shortly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and offers, as usual, extensive footnotes backing up its assertion. Kennedy came under attack also, for saying Sept. 18 that the Iraq war “was made up in Texas, (and it was) announced in January to the Republican leadership that war was going to take place and was going to be good politically. This whole thing was a fraud.” It would be interesting to see Bush administration supporters say precisely what’s unlikely or truly offensive about that first sentence, especially considering the backup noted by Misleader. (Kennedy’s second sentence will always be a matter of taste, I think.)

No comments: