Thursday, November 27, 2003

TURKEY DAYS

The newspapers are predictably packed with Thanksgiving-themed thinkpieces -- by which I mean there’s one each in the Times’ of New York and Los Angeles, but how much more can you take, even on a day when excess is expected?

Their points can be tortured to fit my thesis that all our holidays are (or should) blur together, as can my family’s kitchen conversation about pie, which made me realize that pumpkin pie straddles the fall holidays, Halloween and Thanksgiving. For which did my sister make hers last year? Heck, I couldn’t even remember, and still can’t, for which holiday the pie is considered necessary. Neither, now, am I right?

Anyway, The New York Times piece notes that Native Americans actually had nine Thanksgivings for various events. The nonnative Americans wound up with one. But I predict, in line with the more common thesis that Hallmark is creating or exaggerating holidays for profit, that we soon will be embracing more and more of them.

It’s excessive, sure. But it suits.

And now I must eat.

No comments: