Monday, December 08, 2003

THE MIDDLE AND THE CENTER

It really seems as though Howard Dean has all the Democratic momentum for the White House next year, especially with Al Gore’s endorsement.

Joe Lieberman, who ran as Gore’s vice presidential candidate in 2000, seems hurt by Gore’s action -- understandably. But surely he must understand that Gore had to do what he could to ensure a win for the Democrats, and Lieberman is stuck in the middle of the pack, almost certainly unable to make the primary cut.

This is a relief to me, because I find Lieberman to be sanctimonious and tiresome. He’s a great man whom, every time he talks, I wish would shut up. I didn’t like watching Clinton speak because I found him smarmy; watching Bush literally makes me queasy; I’d like to eventually find a president I can watch without irritation or disquiet, and Lieberman sure isn’t it.

Despite Dean’s lead and momentum, I stubbornly stick to my belief that Wesley Clark -- whom I can’t even support, thanks to his stance on “flag desecration” -- will be at least dogging Dean’s heels up to the primary, mainly because he appeals to Republicans as well as Democrats: a Clinton-style centrist, that’s Clark.

It seems odd, I know, to be looking to a centrist when Dean’s numbers keeps proving it unnecessary ... but then I note an Associated Press poll that’s either the flukiest of flukes, a practical joke or evidence that the Clinton centrist track is valid. Democrats want Hillary Rodham Clinton.

And she’s not running. But Clark is.

No comments: