Friday, December 12, 2003

READY CLAIM, FIRE

I just want my little pocket knife back -- a Swiss Army dealie, with wee knife, wee file, wee scissors and oddly large toothpick, that I got one holiday gift-giving season. It was taken from me by Transportation Security Administration workers when I went to California for Thanksgiving. (Silly, but impossible to argue with.)

But in pursuing how to get it back, I find that the administration is disturbingly prepared, at least in terms of paperwork, for any eventuality.

Check out the “TSA Claim Form for Missing or Damaged Items (SF95),” that, when opened as an Adobe Acrobat file, turns out to be an all-purpose “Claim for damage, injury or death.”

Creepy.

Come to think of it, the administration is not prepared for any eventuality, and the form is not all-purpose. I just noticed that the form itself doesn’t say it’s for something that’s missing. Just, you know, hurt or killed.

No comments: